CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE RECIPE

I don't make cake a lot, but when I do, I absolutely LOVE it! It took  me a few times to perfect my cake decorating skills and I still teach myself as I go. Different birthdays and "events" in my family are usually my excuse to make cake, so it was with this one! It was my sister's name day few days ago and this cake was in my head for some time now so I just had to make it! I was inspired by Yolanda Gampp's mega cookie cake and Gemma Stafford's adorable cookie sprinkles. This is my go to vanilla cake recipe and you can really do anything with it. I improvised with the frosting as I always do and it turned out pretty good. I also used that Nestle cookie cereal instead of making my cookie sprinkles but these are my sister's favourite.




INGREDIENTS:
  • 520g all-purpose flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 1 ½tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 225g butter
  • 400g sugar
  • 1tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 480ml buttermilk
  • 150g chocolate chips
  • 250g butter
  • 200g powdered sugar
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 300g dark chocolate, melted and cooled  
  • mini cookies, optional

RECIPE:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line three 8 inch baking pans with parchment paper. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk together. In another bowl mix together softened butter and sugar with a mixer on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
  2. To your butter and sugar mixture add the eggs one at a time so they incorporate better. Once everything is mixed, scrape down the sides of your bowl.
  3. Now add the third of your flour mixture and mix for 30 seconds. Add half of your buttermilk and mix for another 3o seconds or so. Add the second third of your flour mixture, mix and then add the other half of your buttermilk and mix.
  4. To the last third of your flour mixture add chocolate chips. This will help chocolate chips to stay in the batter while baking and not just sink to the bottom. Divide the batter evenly and bake for 40-45 minutes. When baked, make sure the cakes are totally cooled when you're decorating them.
  5. For the frosting mix together powdered sugar and softened butter for 5-10 minutes until really fluffy and pale. Sift in cocoa powder and mix for a minute. Slowly drizzle in chocolate while mixing and mix for another few minutes.
  6. When baked, these cakes are pretty flat, but if there is a small dome on the top, level it off with a cake leveler or a serrated knife. Nom on those scraps while decorating, you won't regret it ;)
  7. Stack your cakes with a little bit of frosting in between each layer. Now fill a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice with the remaining frosting and cover the whole cake with it. Smooth everything out wit a pallet knife and work quickly as chocolate in the buttercream sets as it cools.
  8. Now do some fancy piping on the bottom of the cake and the top to make it nice and pretty and decorate with mini cookies if desired. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment